Objective: The purpose of this article is to discuss why most rosacea sufferers flare during the harsh environment of the winter. We are highlighting a skin care barrier cream for Rosacea, that protects the skin from environment-induced flushing, skin inflammation and rosacea flares. New technology and newly-discovered active ingredients can now protect your facial skin against cold temperatures, wind, humidity changes and dry skin. Our research suggests OSEA is the best available protectant cream for rosacea skin types.
Effect of Winter Exposure on Rosacea Skin – Barrier Cream Review
Winter is harsh on sensitive rosacea skin. Several large-scale surveys by the National Rosacea Society over the last five years indicate that winter and climate changes are responsible for rosacea flares, flushing and skin inflammation in more than 70% of rosacea sufferers surveyed. Cold air stimulates the release of inflammatory mediators from the epidermis and causes rosacea blood vessels to become hyper-reactive. Wind physically damages thin rosacea skin and when temperature and humidity both drop, these greatly affect skin dryness, roughness and moisture retention. It’s germane to point out that it is doubly harsh on rosacea skin when rosacea sufferers have to run errands during the holiday season and inadvertently expose their skin constantly to cold, windy air and dry hot indoor air.
Protecting Hyper-Reactive Rosacea Skin
Technology has finally caught up with compromised, inflamed skin. New active ingredients can now help to protect the skin from harsh winter elements — they can incorporate various molecules into the skin barrier to thicken and normalize the main protective barrier and repel many sources of rosacea flares and physical damage. Several novel ingredients in one product stand out as skin care protectants ideal for rosacea sufferers.
OSEA™ Atmosphere Protection Cream
This new protectant cream is excellent for rosacea skin as it not only protects rosacea skin, but it treats facial redness… and it’s affordable! This is the best new cream for 2016/2017.
“A Lightweight Daily Moisturizer that Protects Against Damage from Environmental Stressors”
“This lightweight moisturizer hydrates and helps provide barrier protection against surface damage caused by environmental stressors such as extreme dry climates, wind, cold and air pollution. USDA Certified Organic Algae, Shea Butter and Avocado Oil improve the appearance of youthful firmness and leave a matte, silky finish. An OSEA fan favorite for skin feel and scent. Also acts as an excellent base for effortless makeup application.”
- Gigartina Skottsbergii Algae hydrates while infusing skin with vitamins and minerals to reinforce the skin barrier. Leaves skin feeling hydrated, calm and protected.
- Red Algae Extract infuses skin with potent vitamins and minerals that hydrate dry, depleted skin and reinforces the appearance of a healthy, balanced, moisture-rich complexion. This particular red algae extract has been clinically proven to reduce rosacea redness and blotchiness and thicken compromised rosacea skin.
- Laminaria Algae Extract strengthens the epidermis, reduces inflammation and calms redness
- Macadamia Seed Oil (Macadamia Ternifolia Oil) is a lightweight oil high in omega fatty acids that is easily absorbed and leaves skin soft and hydrated.
- Avocado Oil (Persea Gratissima Oil) is easily absorbed to help diminish the appearance of signs of aging and sun damage. It is easily absorbed for instantly softer skin.
Jojoba Seed Oil (Simmondsia Chinensis Oil) hydrates and softens skin and helps to reduce the appearance of fine lines for a more youthful, supple look.
- Calendula Extract, L-Lysine Extract and Chamomile reduce rosacea redness and skin inflammation
- Ginko Biloba is one of the strongest topical antioxidants and anti-inflammatories used for inflammatory skin disorders
This cream is special — it works indirectly with the epidermis’ immune system by activating the production of Langerhan cells. Langerhan cells are important for over-all skin health, youthful-looking skin, and provides superior protection and repair of the continual environmental insults encountered during winter.
NATURALLY DERIVED INGREDIENTS:
AQUA, ALGAE EXTRACT*, COCO CAPRYLATE, MACADAMIA SEED OIL*, OLIVE OIL*, CETEARYL GLUCOSIDE, BUTYROSPERMUM SHEA BUTTER PARKII*, SIMMONDSIA CHINENSIS SEED JOJOBA OIL*, AVOCADO OIL*, TOCOPHEROL, CALENDULA EXTRACT, L-LYSINE LAUROYL METHIONINE, XANTHAN GUM, LAMINARIA ALGAE EXTRACT, GINKGO BILOBA LEAF EXTRACT, CHAMOMILLA RECUTITA FLOWER EXTRACT*, LAVANDULA ANGUSTIFOLIA OIL*, PELARGONIUM GRAVEOLENS, MAGNESIUM ALUMINUM SILICATE (Natural Smectite Clay), CITRUS GRANDIS PEEL OIL*, POTASSIUM SORBATE, GLYCINE
*CERTIFIED ORGANIC INGREDIENT
La Roche-Posay Double Repair Face Moisturizer
Oil-free face moisturizer for sensitive skin works in two ways: replenishes moisture and helps restore the skin’s natural protective barrier. The lightweight cream nourishes and soothes the skin.
Main Barrier Building Ingredients
- La Roche-Posay Prebiotic Thermal Water
You can find it on Amazon or via their website
Tip: While your there consider getting the Thermal Water Spray too! Why, it helps cool down a flush but also add a little moisture to your skin before locking it in with the Double Repair Moisturizer.
There is no more need for petrolatum, mineral oil, butter derivatives, waxes, silicones and other thick protectants. We now have access to novel ingredients that physically protect rosacea skin, thicken rosacea skin, and help to reduce inflammation and redness.